Kenya: Kenya – Social Business Intern
Organization: Mercy Corps
Closing date: 02 Oct 2016
INTERNSHIP TITLE: Kenya – Social Business Intern
INTERN WORKSITE LOCATION: Nairobi, Kenya
DATES OF INTERNSHIP: Starting October 2016 (negotiable – sooner the better)
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP: 3-6 months
INTERNS SUPERVISOR: Program Director/YES! and Founder, Lynk
FUNDING AVAILABLE FOR THE INTERNSHIP:
- Mercy Corps/Lynk responsibilities
For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive:
- Accommodation in Nairobi
$600 monthly stipend
The intern or associated institutions will remain responsible for all costs associated with:
- International transport and visas
- Medical insurance
- All other costs associated with this internship
Mercy Corps has been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya. Mercy Corps is currently implementing a part of a 6-country youth employment program, which conducts a range of activities in Kenya to link youth to market-based opportunities. Alongside this, Mercy Corps' Social Ventures team recently invested in Lynk, a social enterprise technology startup established in 2015 which seeks to connect blue collar workers in Kenya to employment. Mercy Corps and Lynk recently partnered to spearhead a new initiative called Byld, a tech-based platform to build careers for informal workers in the building and construction sector, and improve productivity for construction firms.
Byld recently agreed on a partnership with a major construction finance firm to pilot the Byld platform on two sites, and is seeking an intern to coordinate the pilot. This will include:
- Conducting hands-on research with target users to identify pain points and product needs, and contribute to product design.
- Supporting the rollout of the product on construction sites, training users, ensuring effective use, and troubleshooting on the ground.
- Leading evaluation to demonstrate business case of Byld through enhanced efficiencies and productivity, and worker benefits.
The intern will be housed under Lynk, and report to the Lynk CEO, with extensive experience in the US tech industry. The intern will have interactions with the Mercy Corps team on the ground.
The intern will gain significant experience in the design and set-up of a sustainable social enterprise. Specific learning objectives include:
- Social enterprise start-up: A hands-on experience supporting market research, product design, field piloting, and development of a business case.
- Project management: Planning, day-to-day coordination of pilot activities, and evaluation.
- Private sector and NGO engagement: Exposure to operations in start-up business, large corporations, and NGOs.
- Ongoing reports during sprints during the product design process and pilot.
- Written evaluation / business case.
- Final Byld products developed.
IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
The Lynk team is seeking one intern with the following qualifications:
- MBA complete or in progress (or related field like Social Enterprise, Business Administration, etc)
- Self-starter personality – able to take responsibility and undertake tasks with minimal supervision.
- Some experience conducting market research, product design, and/or business modeling with start-ups;
- Some international experience volunteering or engaging with an NGO or business would be beneficial
- Solid writing, editing and researching skills
- Knowledge if construction sector a plus.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment
- Flexible work attitude: able to work productively in a team environment and independently
The position will be based in Nairobi. Life in Nairobi is cosmopolitan, with lots to do and amenities readily available. There is a consistent threat of petty crime, and an ongoing terrorism threat is present. The intern will be housed at a room in or nearby the Lynk campus, in a quiet residential area near central Nairobi.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/sxtp6pwrt5
How to apply:
Join over 5,000 people who get notified daily. Enter your Email Address and subscribe for free.