Kenya: Program Assistant, Strengthening Education Systems in East Africa
Organization: Aga Khan Foundation
Closing date: 15 Sep 2016
Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational, development agency promoting creative solutions to problems that impede social development. AKF (East Africa) seeks sustainable solutions to long-term problems of poverty, hunger, literacy and health, with a special emphasis on the needs of rural communities in coastal and other resource-poor areas. AKF (EA) works in five sectors including Health, Education, Early Childhood Development, Rural Development and Civil Society enhancement. Over the last several years, AKF (EA)’s programs have evolved and expanded in response to government policies, beneficiary demand and assessment of needs. In order to optimize AKF (EA)’s efficiency and effectiveness as a development actor in the region, it seeks to support and improve innovations that create viable solutions to community problems that impede development.
Are you interested in finding innovative ways to improve education opportunities for children of East Africa? AKF is seeking dynamic, outgoing, organized and suitable candidate to fill the post of Program Assistant. The SESEA project is currently in its third quarter of its fourth year of implementation, and is scheduled to end in 31st December 2017. This position will therefore be project-funded up to 31st December, 2017 (with possibility of extension), and will be based at the Project Coordinating Unit in Nairobi.
2. The Job Purpose:
The primary objective of the Program Assistant will be to provide administrative and programmatic support to the Project Coordinating Team (PCU) and wider AKDN SESEA implementing partners in ensuring effective and efficient project operations.
3. The Key responsibilities:
Reporting to the Project Director, the position assumes lead responsibility for managing project administrative systems and providing project support to the Project Coordination Unit (PCU).
Duties and Responsibilities.
Administration and Logistical Support
· Provide support to the PCU in organising conferences, trainings, project review and planning meetings, field visits, international travels and workshops by arranging venues, meeting materials, distribution of minutes and agendas among others.
· Maintain PCU project records and keep information and reference materials in a manner that allows for easy reference and retrieval.
· Maintain the PCU annual activity calendar including scheduling of appointments.
· In liaison with AKF-EA administrative team, arranging travel and accommodation bookings for PCU staff and other SESEA related missions including drafting and confirming itineraries in consultation with relevant staff.
· Prepare requisitions and purchase orders for all PCU related procurement and payments including maintaining information on service providers in SESEA project countries and areas.
· Verify travel and other project expenses incurred by PCU staff.
· Provide the required support to the Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Coordinator in preparation of monthly progress reports, roll out of Information Management System and follow up with related M&E tasks as assigned.
· Provide required support to the Policy Associate in the coordination and documentation of Learning and Dialogue events.
· Participate in program-related meetings including provision of support in documenting of meeting action points for follow up.
· Take lead in organizing PCU weekly check in meetings including documentation of meeting notes/action points. · Perform other similar duties as required and assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Under graduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as Public Administration, Business Administration, ICT or other social sciences
· Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant practical experience in Administration
· Excellent knowledge of administrative systems and procedures
· Experience working with NGOs and/or government agencies, and with donor-funded projects.
· Knowledge of grant administration an asset
· Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and good analytical, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
· Proficiency in office software packages including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
5. Other Competencies
· Capacity to multi-task, work independently and take initiative
· Ability to communicate effectively and work effectively as part of a small team
· Proven ability to meet strict deadlines and produce results
· Superb organizational and time management skills
· Experience in the Southern and Eastern African development context is an asset · Experience with Global Affairs Canada (formerly CIDA) and/or other bilateral donors is an asset.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV including contact information of three referees by 15th September, 2016 to the Human Resource Officer, Aga Khan Foundation (East Africa) by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKF is an equal opportunity employer.