Kenya: PROJECT ACCOUNTANT-NAIROBI, KISII & MIGORI
Organization: University of Maryland
Closing date: 16 Sep 2016
The Project Accountant will perform full range of typical financial duties, including disbursements, banking, financial information data entry, inventory control and financial records management. The Accountant will ensure that all project expenditures are properly recorded and that the outlined financial policies and procedures are implemented and followed.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Record all financial transactions and ensure monthly transactions are entered in the General Ledger accurately and on timely basis
- Conduct bank transactions including withdrawals, deposits, and preparation of all bank payments, checks and prepare bank reconciliations.
- Manage verification & liquidation of all project advances and review travel expense reports.
- Calculate and distribute travel advances.
- Audit travel vouchers and reconcile travel advances.
- Ensure accounting records supported by valid supporting documentation (also ensure safe custody of all financial documents)
- Verify and validate office financial back up documentation regularly ensuring proper documentation, compliance and implementation of all policies and procedures when making payments
- Maintain accounting documentation in an orderly manner.
- Ensure that all statutory payments are submitted on a timely basis (PAYE, NSSF, NHIF, Withholding Tax)
- Work closely with the Administration and Logistics Officer on the VAT exemption applications and ensure follow-up of the same including proper record documentation
- Conduct periodic field monitoring visits to supervise cash management and procurement and any other related activities
- Plan and conduct inventory counts and manage the asset register by updating the inventory records
- Work closely with the technical team and assist in drawing up activity budgets for planned activities
- Assist the technical team during the activity planning stage to ensure adherence to the organization’s policies and procedure
- Assist in making payments to workshop participants
- Preparation of Cash Forecasts.
- Scanning all financial documents and submitting hard copy files to Head Office for evaluation and back-up
- Maintain an accurate filing of payment vouchers and other financial documents.
- Ensure adherence to internal controls and make recommendations on areas of potential improvement
- Ensure the security of all project funds.
- Identify and communicate variances and funding gaps, and recommend solutions to the Head of Finance and Administration.
- Receive and verify suppliers’ and consultants’ invoices along with justification documents and ensure that project vendors are paid on time.
- Prepare requests for funds transfers in a timely manner per UMB procedures and requirements.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Business Administration or equivalent professional qualifications with at least 3 years’ of relevant professional experience
- Experience in general accounting and auditing in a similar position with donor-funded development projects is required.
- Good knowledge of and experience with USG rules and regulations.
- Strong computer skills in Quick Books accounting software, Microsoft office application including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills with ability to efficiently take up multiple tasks under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate ability in analyzing financial documentation and reporting.
- Good communication skills, written and verbal, in English and Kiswahili languages.
- Ability to assist and mentor staff on finance matters to ensure adherence to the organizations’ policies and procedures.
- Willingness to travel to represent and undertake project activities.
- Good knowledge of IT is an added advantage.
How to apply:
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 16, 2016. Candidates are required to quote the TITLE & LOCATION of the position being applied on the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.