- Company: United Nations Office for Projects Services (UNOPS)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Kenya
The United Nations Office for Project Services is an operational arm of the United Nations, dedicated to implementing projects for the United Nations System, international financial institutions, governments and other partners in the aid world.
Background Information – PSC
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. It is led by the Director, who has overall authority and accountability for the performance PSC on behalf of its clients. The Director is responsible for administering and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programme Management Office (PMO), the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Specialist is responsible for the information technology and communications related services and functions to support UNMAS Somalia in managing its operations. The ICT Speciaist promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations. ICT Specialist works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and project teams in the Programme Main and Regional Offices and the UNSOS FTS department. The functional responsibilities include:
- Ensure full compliance of ICT activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Management of all ICT systems, networks, hardware and software remain operational ensuring reliable ICT services in support of the programme. This includes but is not limited to: Local Area Network (LAN) and, Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN), Video Telephone Conferencing, Data Encryption, Server Management, internet through VSAT and national internet providers and VHF networks.
- Ensure data and information security at all times through; the implementation of the Programme information security strategies, plans and procedures, provision of recommendations for improving current Information security systems, provision of information security training and monitoring/ maintaining; backup systems, remote storage, network security, LAN and VLAN security, data encryption, data integrity maintenance and data access control.
- Conduct regular reviews with mission ICT section on all ICT systems, networks, hardware and software provided and ensure the Programmer’s operational needs are being met in the most up to date, efficient, effective and secure manner.
- Provide recommendations, priorities, costs and requirements specifications for required updates or corrective actions and assist with procurement.
- Liaise with mission ICT and provide advice and management on the installation of upgrades and implementation of new technology implementation plans, advice on change management implications, supervision of the implementation and review of effectiveness of changes.
- Provide a Help Desk service for fast resolution of all ICT customer issues.
- Work closely with UNSOS and other UN Agencies ICT Focal Points to ensure integration of the programme and UNOPS systems into relevant systems;
- Maintain register of all ICT hardware, software and systems to ensure full asset management and timely replacement/upgrades as required.
- Coordinate regular maintenance and serviceability checks to ensure all ICT equipment and systems remain functional.
- Responsible for ongoing training of programme personnel on ICT related topics to ensure personnel have adequate ICT knowledge to perform their primary functions.
- Any other duties as required.
Closing Date : 13th November, 2020