- Company: Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- Location: Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Kenya
Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization’s funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
MSF is a humanitarian medical organization providing emergency medical aid to populations in need.
We are launching locum pool recruitment for activities in Dagahaley Refugee Camp.
The selected candidate will be reporting to the Nursing Team Supervisor.
- Knowing, promoting, implementing and following up the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensuring high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment. Respecting medical secrets and confidentiality at all times.
- Organizing and carrying out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, and assisting during consultations, daily rounds and other medical procedures. Participating in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary.
- Identifying Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and referring them to the medical team so they can receive the necessary treatment. Knowing and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Ensuring patients are properly received and installed and that those with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort. For ER and OPD nurse, ensuring triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care and referring them to the doctor when necessary • Sending material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization
- Carrying out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients (i.e. assessment of the evolution of their state of health and the identification of any emergency situation or deterioration
- Carrying and supervising administrative procedures and documents (fill in patient’s files, forms, consumptions, statistics, registers, health files, etc.), ensuring an appropriate written/oral handover, and reporting any problematic situations and cases that may arise. Participating in data collection and keeping doctors/supervisors informed .
- Participating in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (quality and its functioning, storage conditions, follow-up of expired drugs inventories, stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, etc.)
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance of biomedical equipment used. Following the user manual and protocols and alert supervisor in case of malfunctioning.
- Supervising and training nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision, ensuring teamwork and adherence to all appropriate protocols and procedures
Context Specific Accountabilities
- Participate in the hospital platforms, departmental meetings, quality control activities like death audits, case reviews, prescription audits etc.
- Ensure the registration of day to day consumption according as per procedure in place including proper cold chain management and maintenance in the department.
- EPREP team member: Assist in response to emergencies within the project or as required.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s
- Languages Mission language (English) essential and local language (Somali) desirable.
- Competencies Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment & Service
Closing Date : 4th December, 2020